Thursday, August 24, 2006

The REAL Verdict

I just spent the last four hours on the metro/waiting at the prenatal assessment center/being examined by strange men/riding the metro home. It was interesting and I'll tell you why. Today was my first appointment with a MALE ob/gyn. Thus far, I have been refusing to see anyone who isn't actually capable of bearing children, as I find it difficult to trust a man who looks up women's skirts all day. But at this point, my modesty is gone. I simply don't care. Not only was the ob a man, but he was accompanied by two other male doctors - one a med student, the other a neonatologist.

First I had a regular ultrasound, where they took some measurements and checked the amniotic fluid level. All is well and she's weighing in at approximately 6 lb, 10 oz. A good size, I think... as long as she stays small :-)

Then, we went on to the transvaginal ultrasound. Luckily, they kept it quick and dimmed the lights to add to the ambience. GOOD NEWS: NO C-SECTION! The placenta has moved up a bit, as far as they can tell and there's enough room for me to deliver vaginally. He checked my cervix, too and said I'm still 1 cm dilated. All in all, it wasn't too horrible and I seem to have survived.

I told him that my contractions are getting closer and I'm feeling a bit cruddy. He said it could be that I come in tonight, or I could last until next week. I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

On a side note: It's quite strange tossing around words like "vaginal" in every other sentence. Sorry if anyone is offended. Just be thankful I'm not using slang :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amber,

I think it is so neat that you are sharing your experiences with your family and friends via your blogspot. I really appreciate learning what pregnancy is really all about. I am sure my turn will be up sometime in the near future. Well girl, my thoughts and prayers are with you as you count down these last days.

Love,
Kara