Friday, March 10, 2006

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


After three months of digestive upheaval, I have developed a warped appetite and disrupted eating habits. Throughout my journey there have been foods that have been popular, foods I wish I could eat, and those that are so incredibly disgusting that I don't even want to think about them. I have organized them into three different categories:

The Good:
These are food superstars that have served me well and taste good no matter what.

1. Potatoes, especially those taking the form of a french fry. I have been buying the oven version, as not to flood my arteries with saturated fat. The saltier, the better - with lots of ketchup. Yum.

2. Fruit. Fresh pineapple is a standout (though I have had the displeasure of puking it up - not pretty), as well as apples, grapes, and pears. Pink grapefruit and berries have also been very, very good to me.

3.Peanut Butter. What can I say? It was a favorite before pregnancy, and is still on my menu every day. Especially good with apples and bananas (and pretzels and crackers...)

4. Annie's Mac 'n' Cheese. Good, quick and rather salty.

5. Miso soup. It's always there when I need it. Again, lots of salt and very few calories.


The Bad:
These are foods that sometimes go down well, but have proven difficult at times.

1. Spinach. This was the first thing I craved. I ate it almost every day for two weeks, starting around Christmas. Then, I couldn't even stand the sight of it. It's only recently that I have begun to introduce it to my diet in small portions.

2. Cereal, Corn flakes and Cheerios especially. For a while, I ate a few bowls a day (with very little milk), thinking it was the best thing ever. Then I had whole grain goodness all over the toilet bowl. I'm in no hurry to eat cereal again.

3. Saltines. Though initially a life-saver, if I have to eat another saltine in the next year, I am going to scream. They don't taste all that great going down, and I am sick of the taste of them coming back up - by far the most regurgitated food of the year...

4. Dairy. My body's not too keen on dairy, so I can only have it in moderation. Yogurt is the safest bet, but if I have too much, I get really nauseous and bloated. Being pregnant is so fun!


The Ugly:
Self explanatory.

1. Thai food, specifically the drunken noodle with tofu. See previous post - probably the most painful thing I have ever thrown up. Spicy food doesn't get any less spicy after having sat in your stomach for a few hours.

2. Soft cheese. I really want some Brie and gorgonzola, but will have to wait for several months. I'm not taking any chances with listeria, as I have watched way too much of the Discovery Health Channel to make that mistake.

3. Meat. I haven't eaten any in years (YUCK!), and I absolutely, positively cannot stand the smell of meat (of any kind)!

4. Wine. I would really like to have a small glass with dinner at some point, but I have made the decision to not take any chances. Maybe sometime next year...

No comments: