Monday, February 04, 2013

It never ends

WARNING: Icky post...

It's only Monday, but already it's been a crappy week. I had to go to the doctor rather suddenly this morning, as I began having heavy bleeding, cramping and was passing large clots. After a transvaginal ultrasound (good morning!!), we found a large portion of retained placenta that takes up over half of my uterus. It was my worst fear, but I had suspected something was going on, since I started bleeding unexpectedly a few weeks ago.

I had retained my placenta after delivery and had a D&C immediately after, where I was assured that they removed it all. I went back in to the Dr. a few days later after passing the scariest piece of tissue the size of my hand. Again, I was assured it was normal and no placenta could be left. And after that, everything seemed normal... until recently. I had my 6-week postpartum check-up last week and everything looked normal. I mentioned the bleeding, and they thought it was just my period. I even got an IUD.

But now, I am scheduled for another D&C tomorrow morning at EIRMC in Idaho Falls. I'll have general anesthesia and if all goes well, I'll be done in less than an hour. However, the doctor did tell me that there is a good possibility that it won't be so easy. Because I already had a D&C and I have retained the placenta for so long, there is a risk of infection. There's also a chance that it's so attached that they're unable to get everything out without damaging my uterus. In that case, I have been told that I will need a hysterectomy. That is not the what I wanted to hear.

So... please, please, please, I'm going to need more happy thoughts. I'll keep you posted :-)

No comments: