Saturday, January 19, 2013

Me

Lots of people have been asking how I'm doing. And I'm happy to say that I feel fantastic. Pregnancy is really not my thing. And I'm so happy that I won't be doing that again. But I'm glad that there was a great ending to it (no c-section!) and that my recovery was relatively painless and quick. During my pregnancy, I meant to write about a book that I found to be incredibly helpful and that I recommend to anyone who is pregnant/thinking about having a baby. It's Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. I think I read it 3-4 times, and read the chapter on the mind/body connection several times more. I wish I would have known about it the first time around. It was definitely helpful toward the end, as it served as a reminder that I was fully capable of having a baby, even if I did scream for an epidural for the last few hours (thanks for not letting me give in, Brady.)

From the beginning, I was determined to make this pregnancy a better experience than my last. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. But it wasn't a total failure. The process was physically and mentally exhausting. And it meant spending months away from my home and Ella. But in the end, I have never felt so much love and gratitude toward my friends and family. I received phenomenal care from the doctors and midwives both here and in Utah. And I have a greater appreciation for my own body and its ability to withstand less than favorable circumstances—not to mention that I now have two amazing little girls.

So should you ask how I am, the answer continues to be "fantastic."   And maybe a little tired...

But I haven't puked since December 18th :-)

1 comment:

Kathy Kenney said...

This post made me smile. You are an extremely strong woman, both physically and mentally, and a truly wonderful momma. Can't wait to meet Rowan one day.